Counselling is a process of exploring thoughts and feelings with another individual that can relieve the sense of overwhelm about problems. The purpose of counselling is to move the individual from a position of self doubt or insecurity to one where they feel more in control; to give back choice in life and hopefully the confidence to use that choice. A collaborative relationship develops with the intent of alleviating distress and rekindling hope.
Many situations in life leave us feeling powerless with a feeling of having no choices. Through counselling, a person may obtain a greater sense of self knowledge and understanding which can enhance self esteem, improve a person’s sense of choice and may promote the feeling that life can be enjoyed rather than endured.
The benefits of counselling may include (but are not limited to):
- Give you a better understanding of yourself and to understand how the past influences and shapes thoughts and behaviour as you relate to your world.
- Understanding yourself better helps you to understand others better.
- Assists in managing stress and meeting life’s challenges.
- Increases confidence and positivity.
- Increases choice and helps provide direction.
- Counselling doesn’t do away with difficult times but provides you with greater inner resources to manage them.