Hypnobirthing® is a rewarding, relaxing, stress-free method of birthing that is based on the belief that when a mother is properly prepared for birthing physically, mentally, and spiritually, she can experience the joy of birthing her baby in an easier, more comfortable way.
Hypnobirthing® is as much a philosophy as it is a technique that introduces hypnosis, a naturally induced state of relaxed concentration in which we communicate suggestions to our subconscious mind. This part of our mind influences what we think, how we feel and the choices we make. Almost anyone who chooses to, can reach deep relaxation and redirect their focus. Birthing becomes a calm, relaxed experience, without the fear and tension that cause pain. The body’s natural anaesthesia (endorphins) will replace the stress hormones that create pain, and when it’s time for baby to be born, the mother is empowered, confidence and peaceful.
What are the Advantages of HypnoBirthing
- Eliminates the Fear-Tension-Pain Syndrome before, during, and after birthing.
- Eliminates or greatly reduces the need for chemical painkillers, and shortens the first stage of labour by several hours.
- Eliminates fatigue during labour, enabling you to be fresh and awake with energy for birthing.
- Eliminates risk of hyperventilation from “shallow” breathing methods, and allows a more rapid postnatal recovery.
- Returns birthing to the beautiful, peaceful experience that nature intended.
- Creates a more integral role for the birthing companion.
What will I Learn?
- Relaxation and self-hypnosis techniques to eliminate the fear and tension that cause long labour and pain, replacing it with confidence, calm and comfort.
- Techniques to produce a shorter, more comfortable labour.
- The creation and control of the body’s own natural anaesthesia.
- The source of the myth that pain must accompany normal birthing, and why some women in other cultures have birthings almost entirely free of discomfort.
- How the mother’s body is designed to work in neuromuscular harmony with nature throughout labour.
- Practice in deep relaxation during and between uterine surges.
(Thanks to Marilyn Boon and Russell Marling)
“HypnoBirthing® gave me a most priceless gift—a childbirth experience that was free of fear.”
“Nothing can describe the beauty of our birthing experience with HypnoBirthing® . I never dreamed after having two children with another method that I could have so easy a labour.”
“Several of my patients have used HypnoBirthing® . The result: little or no medication and yet, a calm and more comfortable mother.”
“Hypnobirthing® was the best tool we used in preparation for the birth of our son. It enabled both of us to learn to focus, think positively and become totally relaxed yet excited about the birthing experience. It allowed my husband to learn more about the natural birthing process, and really provided him with the confidence and enthusiasm to be able to assist me in the most meaningful and helpful way possible. It meant that we could work as a team on the day and what a team we were! My labour was a totally empowering, drug free, amazing and beautiful experience and I attribute that to the HypnoBirthing® skills we learnt. Thank you so much!” (LT N.E Adelaide)
“Hypnobirthing® allowed me to have a relaxed and comfortable labour and birth without the need for pain killers. Bringing my ‘hypnobaby’ into the world was a fantastic experience that my family and I will always treasure!” (SM Adelaide Course)
The HypnoBirthing course is conducted over five sessions of two and a half hours each.
Or individual classes available upon request.
For more information, please click here.
HypnoBirthing is your complete childbirth education class. It is made up of five 2.5 hour sessions, which take place as part of a group (maximum 4 couples) or individually if you would prefer. Individual sessions can be booked to suit the mother and birth companion. Both course types generally run for 5 consecutive weeks. The ideal time to start your course is around the 28 week stage of your pregnancy as this will give you ample time to practice and master the techniques you will learn during the sessions. However, if you are reading this and your are further along in your pregnancy it is not too late to start.
Session 1: Building A Positive Expectancy
• How your body has the perfect design to give birth naturally.
• What really goes on inside your body during contractions.
• Why labour is generally portrayed as such a negative event.
• The effect that fear has on the birthing body.
• How Hypnosis and deep relaxation help.
• A breathing technique that quickly brings you into a state of relaxation.
• How to build a positive expectancy about your birth.
You will leave this session with new, positive feelings towards birth.
Session 2: Falling in Love With Your Baby/Preparing Mind & Body
• Prenatal bonding techniques that allow baby to already feel part of the family.
• Positions and techniques to bring about a deeper level of relaxation.
• How to breathe with each contraction so that they are comfortable – and even enjoyable!
• Visualisations that you can use to make birthing easier.
• Methods to tone your body and be ‘fit for birth’.
• The right foods to eat to ensure a healthy, happy baby develops inside.
After this session you will be ready to completely prepare yourself mentally and physically for birth.
Session 3: Getting Ready to Welcome your Baby
• How to create your birth preferences.
• Understanding your due date.
• Special circumstances that require the attention of your caregiver.
• How to avoid and artificial induction of labour.
• Methods to bring about a natural start to labour.
• What to expect during the last few weeks and how your body will work with you.
• Clear yourself of any anxieties, limiting beliefs or fear surrounding birth.
By now you will be feeling empowered and excited about your birth.
Session 4: Overview of Childbirth—A Labour of Love
• The onset of labour – what to expect.
• What to do when you arrive at your chosen birthing location.
• What you will feel/sense as labour moves along.
• How the birth companion can help and be a real part of the birth.
• Misconceptions and what to do if things slow down.
• Natural measures to restart labour.
• Mentally rehearse your birth and how you envisage it being.
The knowledge you gain in this session will allow to remain in control of your birthing as it progresses.
Session 5: Birthing—Breathing Love, Bringing Life
• What to expect as the birth of your baby arrives.
• Birthing positions that are right for you.
• Understanding the role of the baby and mother during the final phase of birth.
• How to breathe your baby down instead of forcefully pushing.
• Misconceptions and what to do if things slow down.
• What happens after your baby is born.
• Final mental preparation for birth.
You are now ready for the birth of your child. You feel knowledgeable, empowered and ready to go.